Skip to main content

Walk It Out

You know how every electronic these days is constantly telling you to walk?


Well, I'm not the type to ignore a robot, so I literally get to steppin'.  But how much to step?  How many steps?  How often?  The fitbit app demands 5 days of exercise per week.


It doesn't start tracking "exercise" until you've been "exercising" for 15 minutes.  So that's our daily lower limit.  The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommends adults perform moderate-intensity aerobic exercise such as a brisk walk a minimum of 30 minutes, five days per week (or a total of 2 hours, 30 minutes) to reduce the risk of disease later in life.  So that gives us a goal of 150 minutes per week.  I also feel it's important to take into account how lazy I've been of late.


I walked a mere 51 of 150 minutes last week.  Ouch.  OK, so my goal is 150 minutes a week, but let's throw in an extra 99 minutes to make up for last week.  And how much have I already "exercised" this week?


I've already put in 17 minutes this week.  So...

150 minutes this week + 99 minutes to make up for last week - 17 minutes already this week = 232 minutes more this week 

To space that out over the week, i use this formula to tell me what day of the week it is:

Æ’=WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2)

For today, that formula yields 1, meaning this' the first day of the week.  Put it all together and what do we get!?

(30 minutes per day * 5 days per week * 2 weeks - 51 minutes last week - 17 minutes this week) / (8 - which day of the week today is) = 33 minutes

...is how much I should walk today!


But how fast do I walk?  🤷  I looked up walking directions to my local corner store in Google maps, then divided the distance of the walk by the minutes it estimated it would take me.  So I guess I walk 3.13 MPH, according to Google.  Works for me!  And now that I have how many minutes I need to walk, and my walking speed, I can calculate the distance I need to walk:  1.7 miles!

But where to walk?  For that, I use Routeshuffle, a brilliant website made by a kid named Riley that generates random routes for running, walking, and biking!


Thanks for tailoring my exercise to my ADD, Riley!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you need juice!?

Have you ever said to yourself, "i should eat more fruits and vegetables...but Whataburger sure is great"?  Me too! Well, my mom bought my cat and i vitamins for Christmas, which i think is her way of saying i am unhealthy.  My Polish co-worker advocates eating primarily uncooked meats, and admonishes, "legumes are pretty much the worst thing you can eat."  Netflix keeps reminding me that everytime i eat a hamburger, i am LITERALLY RUINING THE WORLD.  And sad people in podcasts keep telling my passive ears that "exercise and eating right" will miraculously cure even clinical depression. One thing i can say though is that plants look awfully healthy.  So...i should eat more of them...or any of them!  You already know what a passion i have for finding and purchasing the cheapest food .  But how do i consume it all before it spoils, when i often am gone at work 14 hours a day!?  My recent acquisition of a refurbished juicer helps!  And this' where graph

When Will Our Table Be Ready at Kura Revolving Sushi Bar!?

We celebrated my stepson's 15th birthday yesterday by me making him whoopie pies, his father taking him bouldering, and finally a birthday dinner at Kura Sushi. Virus Super-spreading, Automated Contrary to all pandemic logic, there was a FIVE HOUR WAIT at Kura yesterday.  Via their sub-mediocre app, you can get on a waitlist.  Your displayed wait time never decreases, but the number of people ahead of you waiting for a table does go down. We ain't even trying  to hang out in a COVIDful waiting area for 5 hours, so i chucked together a handy graph to predict exactly when our table would be ready! So we jumped in the car at 6:10! Now i know what you're thinking:  "Kristen, linear regression?!  Really?  This' clearly a job for logarithmic decay!"  Well, calm down.  The regressions were basically the same at predicting when our table would be ready, and i threw this together during boring scenes of Squid Game . Alright, see you in less than 2 years hopefully.

Beer Data

These are a few of my favorite things. As we all know, the goal of beer-drinking is to get drunk.  But here in America, people are sometimes so preoccupied with not getting fatter, that it gets in the way of their beer-drinking.  Supposedly, this is why light beers were invented. However, it is my belief that light beer, since it is typically lower in alcohol, defeats it's own purpose by requiring you to drink more of it to get drunk.  For this reason, i have collected the above data.  The table includes some of my favorite beers, in addition to all the shitty "frat beers" that people waste their time drinking.  The beers are sorted in descending alcohol to calorie ratio, i.e. drunk to fat ratio. The results are kind of upsetting, but telling.  I've also been trying to collect the data necessary to compile a alcohol to cost component (i.e. drunk to poor ratio), but this is more difficult with the fluctuating and varying costs of beer.  If anyone knows where